Dodgeball Tournament Pits Students, Faculty Against Each Other

Edie Patterson

“Who doesn’t know someone in another grade that they would like to peg with a ball?” Mr. Nelson says of school-wide dodgeball. On Friday morning, teachers stand in the gym, ready to take out their anger on unsuspecting students. Faculty member Michael Pulsinelli has learned three things from dodgeball: “First, I’m old and it took me four days to recover from playing; second, the freshman cheat; and third, it’s very satisfying to take out built-up frustration on innocent sixth-graders.” While the second is debatable (but probably true), dodgeball is a fun way for classmates and different grades to bond.

“We’re still having fun and looking for ways to get people absolutely pumped for every new round,” ninth-grade representative Lear Eicher says, promising the winners a special prize that the freshmen have definitely decided on. “The whole thing sprung from an offhand comment in a form meeting,” Lear adds. “In the blink of an eye, it turned into a school-wide tournament.” Once the freshman decided which high school grade would be easiest to beat (sorry, sophomores), they planned the tournament. Although dodgeball is a new Seabury tradition, it is a fun activity to spend more time with your classmates or maybe take out your anger out on other students.