POV: President’s First Actions

Andrew Lang

Although many Americans prefer the policies of President Donald Trump, many also want the institutions he has put in place removed. Some currently believe he has not taken COVID-19 seriously enough, and has prioritized the economy over the lives of the American people, while others would beg the opposite. The president is not new to having opposition, especially against systems and laws put in place during his term. Regardless of personal issues and rancor that dominated the recent election, students have various opinions about what the next president should do going forward.

With the impending threat of COVID-19 constantly keeping Americans 6 feet apart, students hope that the new president will help fight the virus instead of allowing the spread.

Seabury freshman and “Politics Genius,” David Klimiuk comments on President Trump’s lack of COVID-19 support: “I want coronavirus relief to be considered more of a priority.”

The debate over healthcare has also made a resurgence amidst the pandemic, leaving many citizens confused on the healthcare system’s policies. Despite that confusion, students are interested in major healthcare reform and investment.

Sophomore Gray Werner states: “They need to fix healthcare. It probably will not be fixed, but they definitely need to come up with a better system for it.”

In similar fashion, many believe that Americans should be given better welfare and a newer, more reformed police system.

On citizen benefits, seventh grader and self-proclaimed political scientist Xavier Carrasco-Cooper says, “I would like to see police reform, a better, more established welfare system and just an overall better healthcare system.”

Although already in major disarray as COVID-19 continues to thrive, the healthcare situation in America is in trouble, and with the reopening of large public schools in the later weeks of October the healthcare system may soon be under even greater pressure.

Students are also focused on that issue. “They need to figure out the school system… the government needs to fix it so it’s not so cookie-cuttery,” Werner explains.

Although great precautions are being taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at Seabury, some larger schools may have a more difficult time following these precautions and keeping up with the students.

Taking the impact of COVID-19 to heart, many people also want to see less fluctuation in our democratic government systems and a riddance of misinformation in the media and the government. 

Seabury Dean of Students, Sonja Czarnecki comments on these concepts: “I would like to see the president take a stand in favor of our democratic institutions, and help restore confidence and dispel misinformation about the democratic process and it’s systems, but also to take a serious approach based on science, to help control the pandemic and the pain it has caused for Americans.”

Although people will have differing beliefs about politics and related issues, it is important for citizens to express their right to vote, no matter where they are on the political spectrum. Even though most of the Seabury population is currently unable to vote, when the opportunity is provided students should register to make their voice heard.

Eighth grader Delaney Bayliss states, “Vote for unheard voices; vote for yourselves and your loved ones; vote for our future and our rights.”

Even though it may seem insignificant in the long run, every vote matters. Voting is the one way to help change the government for the better. No matter which side of the spectrum, it is important for Americans to realize the significance of voting to make their voices heard and help make changes they want to see.