Sleepy Seahawkzzz

Students discuss the importance of sleep

Sleepy+Seahawkzzz

Jonah Kim, Copy

What if there was a new product that promised energy throughout the day, helped prevent disease and promoted brain function with no negative side effects? Well, this “product” already exists in the form of a good night’s sleep. As a student, however, it can be hard to get good sleep on top of homework and extracurriculars. 

Junior Lizzette Borjas, for one, rarely gets enough sleep. “My homework takes forever,” she says, “and on top of that I have to go to physical therapy, which is an hour to two hours.” 

Another deprived student, Freshman Albert Agah, simply says, “I am in 9th grade English. Enough said.” Many students cite schoolwork as the cause of their sleep-deprivation. At this point in the school year, there is often more than enough homework for some students on a nightly basis; these students have felt the pinch.

Same students, however, manage to get plenty of sleep. Sophomore Beck Oldridge is one such student: “I manage my school work properly and don’t have to do things late at night,” he says. He also mentions that he believes sleep is “very important.” 

Eighth grader Josie Kim, who also manages to get sleep, says, “I make it to bed at a pretty reasonable time for a few reasons: I like sleeping, I wake up pretty early, and I naturally get sleepy at around 9:45 every night.” As hard as it may seem, the solution to good sleep seems to be finishing homework earlier in the day or even changing one’s sleep schedule.

However, this is easier said than done due to the many distractions students can encounter. These can vary from social media to personal hobbies. “Usually my writing distracts me, I’m always thinking of new things to write about,” seventh grader Lydia Derby says, providing one example.

Similarly, Kim says, “My phone is a huge distraction from sleep because it is very entertaining and I can use it in my bed. Sometimes homework keeps me up, but that’s my fault for procrastinating.”

Borjas agrees, sharing her list of distractions: “My phone. Instagram and Tik Tok are the majority of the reasons why [I don’t get sleep].”

Even with how hard it can be to get good sleep, there are plenty of solutions to overcoming distractions and getting to bed on time. “Put your phone down, it helps,” says Oldridge. “Get a wake up time that makes you go to sleep earlier and have a healthy lifestyle that gets plenty of sleep and food and water especially if you’re at home.”

Kim also has some methods: “Leaving one’s phone in a different room, putting a lot into one’s day like being productive at school and around the house and exercising to get tired and trying to change one’s sleep cycle by going to sleep and waking up at certain times.”

Along with keeping electronics away, some people find that listening to music or a book can help them fall asleep. Derby provides a unique solution, saying, “I like to listen to rain when I sleep. It might not work for other people, but it feels nice to hear thunder.”

Despite these different sleep habits, Seabury students all agree that sleep is very important to function. Sleep is a crucial element for brain function and getting through the day. “Getting enough sleep is very important because if you don’t you’re going to feel weak,” eighth grader Alex Van Vleck says.

Agah agrees, saying, “Getting ample sleep is a very important part of a healthy lifestyle. We should all do our best to ensure we get enough sleep.”

Every student has experienced what seems like a never-ending school day after a night of poor sleep. This lack of sleep not only makes the day feel longer and the student more tired, but it can impact everyone differently on a personal scale. “Usually if I don’t get enough sleep I get overwhelmed easier, and I am more sensitive,” Derby says. 

Additionally, Kim says, “Good sleep gives me enough energy to last through the school day and any activities afterwards. When I don’t sleep in enough, it throws off my whole schedule and makes unnecessary obstacles that prevent me from functioning well.”

Although it may be very difficult, the solution to getting good sleep seems to be staying on top of homework and keeping electronic devices away from your eyes before bed. According to Seabury students, the biggest enemy of good sleep is procrastination. Tackling that beast, however, may prove difficult.