Going Clubbing

New clubs are popping up all over the school

Going+Clubbing

Katie Eckert, Copy Co-Editor

As the school moves into a post-heavy-restriction renaissance, new clubs are sprouting up in the middle school, including the Feminists Take Action, the Magic Tricks and the Lego clubs. From learning about social justice to sharing fun hobbies, each of them is looking to make their mark on the community.

Take, for example, the Magic Tricks club, founded by seventh grader Cade Stevens. “[Sixth grader Jack Hawley] and I both really like magic, and at soccer practice we were doing magic to pass the time . . . Then we thought of starting the club,” says Stevens. 

The club’s activities are not limited to card tricks. Stevens says he wants “to try to make a robot that can redo magic tricks,” so that anyone could watch tricks anytime. “It would also be a better way to learn how to do magic tricks, because when you watch on Youtube it is 2D.” If that still sounds too easy, Stevens has plans for trickier activities. “We’re also going to look at magic tricks that are really hard and haven’t been revealed yet, and try and find out how it works.”

Speaking of trickier activities, the Feminists Take Action club is seeking to make changes to the community. After a year that was rough in a multitude of ways, several of the middle school girls decided it was time for a change. “We felt like a lot of the girls at the school weren’t getting as much respect as they should, and so we wanted to do something about that,” says eighth grader Juliet Outka.

Starting as a Google doc where students shared their stories and provided support for their classmates, the Feminists Take Action club has grown into a full social justice club, participating in the Women’s March downtown and helping to coordinate the Honor Moon pads and tampons drive. Though the club is based around feminism, anyone who wants to take part can join. “Anybody is allowed in the club, not just girls. Nonbinary people, guys and anybody who wants to join,” says Outka.

Finally, there is the Lego club, started by seventh grader Lucien Brockhoff. “I always hoped there would be a Lego club at Seabury,” says Brockhoff. “When I arrived here and there wasn’t one, I was disappointed . . . so I decided to create my own.”

Now Seabury has a place for younger students interested in engineering or working with their hands to explore their ideas with Lego. These skills can be put towards larger projects, too: “My grand plan is to build large models to present at conventions,” says Brockhoff.

Whether it is sharing Lego or magic techniques or learning about feminism, each club member is excited to share their knowledge with the community and make an impact, which is exactly what the school needs right now. Anyone interested in joining or starting a club should pursue it; it is time to bring our community back together.