Seahawkian Societies

Middle school Seahawks take advantage of various club options

Campbell Helling, Copy

While high school students have a variety of new electives to explore over the course of this year, including Intro to Programming and Robotics, middle school students do not yet have that privilege. With set-in-stone course schedules, the younger Seahawks can explore their other interests through extracurricular activities, like sports or theater. But some have found a place to explore their interests in school clubs.

Although the widely popular Bathroom Enthusiasts Club fizzled out, other successful clubs are flying relatively low-radar. Eighth grader Jane Ma is a member of one of these: “I’m a part of the Book Club; that’s the only club I’m part of,” she says. “I do it because my friends are doing it, and I think that the books last year were pretty good.” Led by upper school members of the Diversity Club, the book club picks two books to read per year, and meets up for frequent discussions. 

Seventh grader Mateo Klish is also involved in clubs: “I’m a part of Chess Club, and last year I was a part of D&D Club for a part of it,” he says. “[In Chess Club,] we learn about moves, scenarios, and how to react to them and what to do in those scenarios. And in D&D Club, we just played Dungeons and Dragons . . . I enjoy them.” 

Although there are many club options, there may not be enough. “I feel like a Robotics club would be good . . . maybe something about technology stuff. Those would be pretty fun,” Ma says. Seabury’s Robotics program is currently only available to high school students. 

There’s a consensus that clubs contribute positively to the community. “I think they bring more of a variety of people . . . they add more skills as well among students,” Klish says. 

Ma agrees. “I feel like they create diversity,” she says.